Are you a developer, a startup founder or a business manager and wondering about getting benefitted from the internet of things platform? At this age, when the internet is dominated by humans, the majority of data, messages or communications happens between people through electronic mediums like a laptop, smartphones, and desktops.
But, this trend is changing dramatically. And, the internet is dominated by a new category of devices, which are not run by people, even they don’t communicate over messages. They are just a type of machine that only talks with the machine and these machines have been termed as ‘Things’.
Choosing Internet Of Things Cloud Platform
An IoT cloud platform is the essential part of all your IoT solution. The market is now flooded with loads of options for IoT PaaS (Platform as a service) vendors because building an IoT platform with the scalability and reliability is really a daunting task. Choosing a platform is quite different and complex from what it was before.
So, let us elaborate a bit more to explain what this platform actually is. In order to understand this, you need to know what the exact purpose of an IoT device is. This device mainly aims to connect with other cloud-based applications and IoT devices in order to relay information through Internet transfer protocols.
And this is when the IoT platform comes into consideration. They help in filling the gap between the data network and device sensors. This type of network helps in connecting the data network to the sensor arrangement and by using backend applications, providing insights, making sense of so many data that have been generated by thousand of sensors.
As IoT undergoes so many complex features, choosing the best IoT cloud platform is a very difficult task. But while it is complex, choosing the right platform is also a need. So, how to do that? Take a look.
- Scalability: This is the biggest USP of all the cloud platform providers. The complexity increases as the number of connected devices grow. While the vendors promise to support millions of endpoints, achieving this becomes really very tough.
- Bandwidth: IoT platform usually runs over AWS or Google Cloud, creating infrastructure limitation of the bandwidth.
- Protocol: The most common protocol that is supported by the best internet of things cloud platforms are MQTT and HTP. Due to its binary nature, MQTT is lightweight. But with the evolution of the system, there is a need for an alternate protocol to be able to accommodate more devices. So, it is essential to know whether your IoT supports the new protocol.
- System Performance: IoT platform is dependent on rule-based triggers. So, with the increase of device connection on the cloud platform, the time needs to handle and analyze also increases.
- Security: Make sure that your internet of things cloud service provider must have unique identity-based authentication methods for devices.
- Redundancy And Disaster Recovery: Your service provider must have a dedicated infrastructure to handle the data in case of any infrastructure outage.
- Hybrid Cloud: So what is the key requirement? The IoT platform should effectively match with your existing IT system.
- Solution Lifetime: In the case of an industrial manufacturer opting for services from an IoT startup, you are essentially going to need long term support.
- Interoperability: Make sure your IoT provider allows integration with third party providers and even services.
- Edge Intelligence: The platform should provide edge processing through a distributed component that is running on a gateway.
Top 10 IoT Platforms
Now that you know how to select the IoT platform, go through cloud platform list and check out the ten dominated platforms.
1. AWS IoT Platform
This is the oldest and the most dominated consumer cloud market. Owing to its extreme scalability, it can support lots of devices. While they provide the most comprehensive service, the disadvantages include its expensive service.
2. Microsoft Azure IoT Hub
With lot many features like machine learning, cloud storage, and IoT services; they have become a good competitor with their own operating system for IoT devices. There are so many cool benefits that one can get using this cloud platform.
3. IBM Watson IoT Platform
This is yet another IT giant that is trying to mark its way in providing the cloud services. Just like the other service providers, it too has its own set of pros and cons, but this is a great platform for beginners with easy apps and interfaces.
4. Google Cloud Platform
Taking advantages of Google’s heritage, this giant is also trying to take IOT very seriously. One can even have access to Google’s private global fiber network using this platform.
5. Oracle IoT Platform
The difference of this platform with the rest is that it is more focused on manufacturing and logistics operations. This platform aims in helping to deliver the products faster in the market.
6. Salesforce IoT
This platform specializes in customer relations management. The platform is powered by Thunder which aims at real-time decision making and high speed.
7. Bosch IoT Platform
This German based company is quite new in the market and is competing at a good pace with some of the big giants. Security and efficiency are the primary goals of this service provider.
8. CISCO IOT Cloud Connect
A global leader in IT services, to provide more opportunities in IOT platforms, they have even developed a new ‘mobility-cloud-based software suite”. They also focus primarily on building relationships with the customers.
9. General Electrics Predix
By providing connectivity and analytics, they are focusing on the industrial market. In comparison to the larger companies, they don’t have simple pricing tables.
10. SAP IoT Platform
When pricing is considered it involves three tiers- developers, medium business, and enterprise. They offer the latest technology to gain more money out of your business.
With so many IoT cloud platforms, it is tough to decide, which one you should go with. However, based on the features and the platform that meets your need, select the desired one. While, choosing from so many best provider is indeed tough, but at least this gives you to make the best selection.